Friday, December 7, 2012

The Day of Infamy

Not only is December 7th special because it is my birthday, it is a special day of remeberance to honor those who died in the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. On August 23, 1994, United States Congress, designated December 7 of each year as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day is also referred to as Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day or Pearl Harbor Day. It is a tradition to fly the Flag of the United States at half-staff until sunset in honor of dead patriots.
My Dad served in the United States Navy on the USS Nevada during World War II and was stationed at Pearl Harbor & Normandy, he was 37 years old when he signed up for duty.
I remember how he would tell his war stories to myself, my sisters and to all of the grandchildren and especially to my son... always being so proud of his country and his family.
My sisters & I even found all of the "love letters" he sent to my Mom during his tour.
When he died in February of 1992, he was living in Arizona and somehow when the burial arrangements were being made, as it all happened so quickly we never had military honors for him.
That bothered me for 20 years, so this past March, Mike, the wonderful man in my life took me, my son Paul and his girlfriend to the Veterans Memorial Cemetary in Arizona to give the proper military honors to my Dad. The Navy and all of the Veterans performed a wonderal ceremony, we brought the flag that was given to my son after my mom died and they inspected it, opened it then refolded and presented it once again to my son.
The veterans gave  the 21 gun salute and taps was played....after 20 years it was final, Dad was given the honors he well deserved.
This Christmas we should all take a moment to reflect on the true meaning of the season and say a prayer for those who are less fortunate, who live with the threat of bombs everyday, who are battling inner demons or terminal illnesses, for our brave soldiers and for their families. 
As it was so rightly said by the late John Lennon in his song Imagine.



" Imagine all the world living in peace..and the world will live as one"




Peace & Love to all, Terri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment